Friday, January 13, 2017

The way back











Big empty square is the start,
The windows with their curtains tied
 By pink bows, look like half closed eyes.
One smaller rectangle in the middle,
 For the door, partly open, to let the air in.
Then a steep triangle set above,
 Colored, mostly inside the lines, crimson red.
The chimney, in the corner, still spits out
A swirling thin thread of gray puff.
Now the curving path that leads to the gate
With a slightly leaning back white picket fence.

I push the gate open, how could I refuse to accept
Its invitation, and step into the small yard.
The white cat that wraps around my legs
Moans softly to get my attention,
I give the swing a gentle push
And get lost in the well-known squeak
Some dead leaves crunch,
I am so close, so close to the open door,
I put my hand on the latch, and the door shut tight
How fool I was to believe that
There was never a way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment