Thursday, January 19, 2017


Homecoming

 

 

Low stone fence and behind it
A small patch of yellowing grass,
Some tired plants in ceramic pots
Tree we planted when the girls were young,
Is now looming over the yard.
Crushed granite walkway still
Leads to a wide entrance of
Red brick, and a door that
 No longer wears our names.
I put my ear to the door and listen,
Echoes of laughter dispersing, spraying,
 Ringing, bright and jingly.
Small feet tapping up and down the stairs,
A delightful jumble of kids and toys,
Barking dogs and sleepy cats,
Perfect harmony of banging doors and
 Slamming windows, is it still there?
I knock and hold my breath.
The hand marks of strangers
Everywhere I look,
Do I know this place that seems
The same, yet so altered
My eyes swim around,
Looking for a familiar spot,
An anchor, to secure myself to,
In these alien walls that
Once I called home.

No comments:

Post a Comment